Thursday, June 30, 2016

Truck Sleeping Platform

I've made several different sleeping platforms in my several trucks over the past three years, and I'm still working with random wood I've gotten for free and haven't stained anything, but someday maybe I'll make one that is functional and nice to look at! Here are all my versions. All three are tall enough to slide an 11" Rubbermaid bin underneath.

Version 1.0 (Truck was 1989 Custom F250 with an 8 foot box)
Built with - 2 x 4's and 1/4" plywood
This was before I got dogs. The right hand side piece tucked away so I could put bikes in standing up.

 Version 2.0 (Truck was a 1996 F150 with an 8 foot box)
Built with - 2x12's and 1/4" plywood
This was after I got dogs, and needed the platform to slide forward to make room for the dog kennels.


Version 3.0 (Truck is a 2011 GMC Sierra with a 6.5 foot box)
Built with - 3/4" plywood and 1 x 2's
This one had to be totally different - shorter truck box, GMC instead of Ford. It has three access areas along the wall and a large access door on the top, and is made in two sections so it's easy to take out when I need the whole truck bed. I haven't bothered to make it fullsize for two people yet.


Things to consider when planning yours
  • One or two people sleeping?
  • Height below and height above - do you want to be able to sit up without hitting your head or do you want to be able to fit an 11" rubbermaid bin, because you can't have both!
  • Storage compartments and organization - if you run your long supports along the side of the truck (going up and over the wheel well) you'll have one large area underneath. If you run your long support inside the wheel well, you can build smaller compartments in front and behind the wheel well
  • Ability to remove it easily and transport other things - if you make it in smaller sections, they are easier to lift out and store for transporting other things, or sliding one on top of eachother to make room in the truck bed but then re-arrange for sleeping

No comments:

Post a Comment